Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Busy Sunday

It was definitely a busy day today.  We started the day with a visit to my former farm property in Nova Scotia to get a few of my belongings (which are slowly being moved to the new place, now that there is room for them.)  We picked up the patio furniture, some bags of fibre and yarn, a shelving unit, some gardening tools, a pot rack for the kitchen, and some other bits and pieces.  It takes a while to load the pick-up truck and get everything strapped into place.

When we came back and unloaded, I got busy hosing off about 5 years of dirt and dust from the patio furniture, since it wasn't able to be used there and hasn't been used since I left Iowa, over 5 years ago. I also scrubbed the pot rack, which had been stored in the barn.  I scrubbed everything with a sturdy brush and some dish soap and hosed it all off and left it to dry in the yard.

I also hosed off a number of parts from the elliptical trainer which got splattered by water that had drain-release product in it (long story).

Marc got busy disassembling some pallets, which he brings home (free!) from work.

He's got a great method that is fairly effective at speedy disassembly with minimal breakage.

Some boards still break, but it's better than pulling each nail one-by-one.  He's slowly getting a nice stack of boards that he plans to use on the inside of the detached workshop building.

I came inside and made buttermilk biscuits and started a no-knead bread which I will bake tomorrow. The biscuits were fabulous!

Then I started laundry, and brought in all the things inside which had been drying outside.  Now the only thing I need to do for our porch is buy a package of ceramic tiles for the patio table top.  We are using it in the screened-in porch area, so we don't need to use an umbrella.  It fits standard sized ceramic tiles, so I will go choose a nice colour and then we can enjoy meals and relaxation out on the porch.  I'm really looking forward to that!


I took a few pictures around the yard - lovely peony blooms, a busy bumble bee, and a beautiful rosebud that is likely to open this week.  Unfortunately it's due to rain most of the week, but I'm looking forward to the blooms anyway.



Now it's time to relax a little bit and enjoy the few hours of weekend that remain!

4 comments:

porkpal said...

I am really enjoying your newly reactivated blog!

thecrazysheeplady said...

It's sure nice to be able to start putting things back together. What's going on with the other farm?

Lin said...

Productive work is the best. It's nice to see the new place coming together nicely.

Anonymous said...

OK. All of that, and I'm still stuck on it's been five years since you left Iowa. Sigh. We miss you.