Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Improving my bird photographs

I've been taking a few more pictures with Marc's new camera.  It's a Canon Rebel T6 1300D.  I'm trying to improve my bird photography skills.  I found out that you can get remote control devices for some cameras to allow you to set up a tripod and then move away from the camera area, but this isn't available for the T6 - only the T6i or the T6s.  How frustrating!  Still, I am working with what I have.

The black-capped chickadees are the most acquiescent subjects when it comes to close-up pictures, so I've been focusing on them for the most part.  I've had some good success although I still have difficulty with camera shake, and I also sometimes have trouble with focusing on the wrong thing (like the feeder, rather than the bird on the branch behind it).  I'm mostly still using the automatic settings on the camera as I learn more about it.

I like this image that captured the sort of "squat" that the bird takes to peer in at the seeds.  Notice how this particular bird has a slight buff tint on the sides of its chest/belly area.

This bird, by contrast, doesn't have that buff colour showing at all.  I'm not sure if that's because it's a juvenile or just natural variation.

This shot isn't perfectly clear, but I love the fact that it captures that initial moment of take-off.

 Awwww....look at the widdle toesie-woesies... (ahem, sorry about that, I am reduced to baby talk when confronted with cute bird feet).

 They really are very agreeable little birds.

I'm having a bit more difficulty with the red-breasted nuthatch.  Needs work!

2 comments:

porkpal said...

I think your bird photography is pretty good! I especially like the shot of the curious looking little guy sitting on top of the feeder holder.

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Love your pictures!